can occur in children and adults who've experienced or witnessed a traumatic event. This can include a natural disaster, accident, physical/sexual/emotional abuse, terrorist act, war/combat, rape or other types of violent personal assaults.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a treatable mental health disorder.
Facts About PTSD
- An estimated 70% of adults in the United States have experienced a traumatic event at least once in their lives.
- Upwards of 40% of girls and boys experience at least one trauma as a child or adolescent.
- Among people who are experience or witness a severe traumatic experience, 60 – 80% will develop PTSD.
- An estimated 1 out of 10 women will get PTSD at some time in their lives.
- Studies estimate that 1 in every 5 military personnel experiences PTSD.
- PTSD increases the risk for suicide, especially if it is undiagnosed or untreated.
Link here for PTSD tools and resources.