Sunday, March 08, 2009

Perseverance & Success


I believe that persistence is key in reaching any goal. I'm not always successful in things that I set out to do, but I can say that I always give it a high-octane, no-holds-barred, kick-butt try.


Tips:

1. Identify your goal. Define it and make it real. Whether you write it down or share your goals aloud, affirming it gets the ball rolling.

2. Start visualizing. Use your mind's eye to visualize how your dream would unfold. What do you need to get to your goal? How would the present and future look if you reach your goal?

3. Research your dream. Take the time to look into what it takes to reach your goal so as hold a realistic expectation as you persevere.

4. Choose positive support systems. Find people who will cheer you on and encourage you as you go. Stay away from nay-sayers. Their buzz kill will limit your stride and self-esteem.

5. Choose productive behaviors. Leave room for productive days and unproductive ones. Find inspirational quotes and use self-encouraging statements to nudge you along the climb.

6. Recall your previous successes. Remember the challenges you met and matched to help you when the going gets tough.

7. Don’t fear mistakes. For me, slips, gaffes and mistakes are necessary ingredients in the recipe for success. I expect them and view them as a way to better what it is that I'm doing. Not as a wall I've hit.

8. Keep a healthy lifestyle. I know I write this all the time, but making sure you keep a healthy focus in your mind body and soul can help you in so many ways.

9. Know when to let go. If you've persevered and haven't reached your goal, it's okay to set it aside. Whether you retire it indefinitely or move onto something else, know that you followed a dream and worked hard to almost make it happen.

10. Celebrate. If you've reached your goal, make sure to celebrate it's achievement. Salute yourself and those who helped you along the way. It will encourage you to do more and inspire others to pursue their own dreams.