Friday, February 17, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness Week


Random Acts of Kindness Week is February 13th thru the 19th here in the United States and Canada.

The Random Acts of Kindness™ Foundation is the official organization of the kindness movement , whose aim is to help everyone create a better world by spreading awareness and increasing engagement in kind actions.

The Random Acts of Kindness™ Foundation is international, with kindness days and weeks sponsored around the globe. They provide free educational and community ideas, guidance, and other resources to promote kindness.

Research shows that tiny acts of kindness ripple exponentially across social experiences - essentially sparking a contagiousness of generosity and cooperativeness. Simple stated, a single kind act influences dozens more.

So be kind and pay it forward!


Citation:
Fowler, H. & Christakis, N. (2010). Cooperative behavior cascades in human social networks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 107(10): 5334-5338


9 comments:

Wanda's Wings said...

Very cool concept.

Purple said...

we have this up here too this week. I think it's a great idea :D

PTC said...

Yay, I didn't even know and I've done my part. :) I helped a push a man in a wheelchair up the ramp onto the bus. I got a little nervous because I didn't think I was going to accomplish the task and he was going to roll backwards, but everything worked out well. He got on the bus and helping him up there made me feel good. :) Helping others always makes you feel better.

Dr. Deb said...

Wanda,
Nice, right?

Purple,
Thanks, I fixed it to show that it's up by you in Canada.

PTC,
That is so sweet. I always feel wonderful when I help another person too.

~Just me again~ said...

My daughter works at Tim Hortons (drive thru coffee place up here). She was working the window, last week, when someone asked how much the person behind's order was. She told her, the lady said I'll pay and just tell them to pay it forward. When the next person got to the window, and she told them it was free they were so excited, they drove away with out their order. Stopping fast,after realizing it, they reversed back fast....running into a big truck behind them. LOL, it was still nice to hear that it happens.

Dr. Deb said...

That is SO coincidental. I did that at Dunkin Donuts this week TWICE at the drive thru!!! Luckily no cars got damaged!

S'onnie said...

As we remember the quake from a year ago here in nz... I note that many kiwis have done random acts of kindness... people helping people in the very worst situations...students who grouped together to help with cleaning up the liquefaction... teenagers taking water to elderly... people travelling with food and clothes to help those wihtout. It makes me proud to be a part of this country

Ian Lidster said...

I'm always kind -- aren't I? Generally I try to be.

Lisa said...

Hello, I would like to share with you a foundation formed in memory of my nephew, Dale Settle Jr. (age 22). It is a random act of kindness group. Dale was killed doing the ultimate act of kindness.. laying down his life for his friends who were being robbed. Please read about his story, the type of person he was and why we are doing this in his memory. http://www.dalesettlejr.com (find us facebook also, there's a link on the website).