Friday, November 25, 2011

The Power of Gratitude


Gratitude is the “forgotten factor” in happiness research.

Scientists are latecomers to the concept of gratitude. Religions and philosophies have long embraced gratitude as an indispensable manifestation of virtue, and an integral component of health, wholeness, and well-being.

Through conducting highly focused, cutting-edge studies on the nature of gratitude, its causes, and its consequences, we hope to shed important scientific light on this important concept.

University of Miami psychology professor Michael McCullough, who has studied people who are asked to be regularly thankful, said: "When you are stopping and counting your blessings, you are sort of hijacking your emotional system." What McCullough means is that by taking inventory of what you are thankful about directs you attention to good things.

An "Attitude of Gratitude" can soften a bad mood, a tough day or a broken heart. It also stretches the margins of your well-being.






8 comments:

Raine said...

perhaps I should practise this more

Dr. Deb said...

I do this as often as I can. It has helped me tremendously. Now it feels so easy to do, almost like a reflex.

Wanda's Wings said...

I try to keep a gratitude journal. I believe it helps.

Judy (kenju) said...

I practice it as often as I think of it - which is more than once a day.

bkbsmiles said...

I loved your quote so much that I had to use it on facebook. I so agree with all the good that is said here. In my life, I try to focus on what I can do rather than my limitations and it makes a huge difference. I am also grateful for the uplifting and supportive people in my life. :)--Barb

Xmichra said...

Science or not, I think it helps tremenously as well.

Sounds somewhat funny, but I know that if I am positive, that I am happy so I equal myself to being normally a happy individual. So this week when things were just not right at all (like not even a little in every aspect) I had to stop, close my eyes, and just say to myself "I am thankful that this is not normal, this is not my attitude normally, and things will change because they always do". And with my friend/co-worker watching this she too stopped, thought about what I was saying, and changed her focus on the day as well. I didn't know she was even there to be honest (I was in the bathroom at work) and she was going to poke fun at first. But she realised that it helped her and saw my day start to turn around almost instantly.

She thanked me, and I felt a little embarassed (that was a for me only litle speech!) but pretty happy that she decided to turn her day around too.

Keeping in mind the good things, and the positive is definately worth the pause and thought. It's what makes life worth living.

mrwriteon said...

'Attitude of Gratitude' has been a personal mantra for a number of years. Thanks for expressing its virtues, Deb. I mean, realistically, sometimes I get pissed off and feel sorry for myself, but I can usually snap myself back.

Luanne said...

This is very important. Gratitude will give you a positive feeling and will make you feel good. Do this as often as you can and you'll surely see the results in no time.