Thursday, September 09, 2010

World Suicide Prevention Day: 9/10/2010

Did you know that over 1 million people die by suicide each year? That's a death by suicide very 40 seconds.

Suicide is THE most preventable kind of death. Education, resources, intervention and outreach can help children and adults who struggle with staggering sadness, hopelessness and despair.

One of the most far-reaching campaigns is World Suicide Prevention Day. This health education program is sponsored by The International Association for Suicide Prevention, The World Health Organization, The United Nations and many grass root organizations and agencies every year on September 10th.

This year's theme is "Suicide Prevention Across the World"

To learn about the warning signs for suicidal behavior go here.

For suicide resources in the USA use this link - and for worldwide referrals go here.


Wanda's Wings said...

It is so sad to loss a life to suicide. My brother loss a son to suicide and the hurt lives on with the family many years later.

Dr. Deb said...

I lost three friends to suicide. Such profound grief - and like you say, it remains years after.

Ian Lidster said...

I think the saddest suicides are young people who have yet to understand the concept of mortality, with the reality being, sorry, but you don't come back to see everybody feeling real sad about your death. A dear female friend made a suicide attempt when she was 17 (thankfully didn't succeed), but truly did think at the time that she'd 'show them' and would somehow be able to see the reactions.

SeaSpray said...

I had a friend who attempted suicide at least 3 times and thankfully ..dumb interruptions occurred that stopped her from following through. One was even a pizza delivery person insistently knocking on her door who had the wrong apartment.

It really wasn't that she wanted to die ..even tho she thought that. It was that she could not cope in her situation and wanted out... and was in utter despair in those moments ..thinking clouded. She went on to help many people ..including be one of my closest friends and mentor. She has since passed away from a long term illness.

I have another friend who is 80 years old. The most amazing ..positive ..loving..insightful and fun person. She radiates God's love when you see her. I call her my spiritual Mom because I have learned so many wonderful things from her and she is a go to person when I need clarity on things. (she would not be afraid to have the surgery btw and so I guess I need to hang out with her more absorb some of that). We share the funniest hospital stories too. i had the pleasure of being able to share many dinners with her at work.

But I digress.

I cannot imagine it ..but at the age of 28 ..she tried to kill herself. The way she explains it is that she didn't know God and she thought there was no hope.

But ..she is 80! 80!

I heard the messages on her answering machine one day as I was visiting with her.

Oh my gosh! What a busy and fulfilling life she has ..even now that she has moved into assisted living. She is loved but friends and family of all ages. I LOVE being with her.

the point is ..none of us should ever give up ..because we never know what good things are just around the corner and in store for us we will be blessed or how we can be a blessing.

I'm sorry so long. I came over to tell you that I very much appreciated your comment ..spoke to my spirit in a way that I needed and to say I responded and thank you Dr Deb. ;)

Jade said...

I just recently read an artical stating that approximately 12 percent of US suicides are exicuted by ex military or current military personel ages 24-35.

Very sad statistic and it is expected to rise. We need more programs addressing this issue.

Diversity said...

Over a million people a year. Shocking in this day and age especialy as you say it is the most preventable kind of death.

purple cupcakes said...

its so hard to believe only three years ago we were at the end of everything and attempting to take our life.
Now we cant wait to see what each day brings.
My only regreat was that i couldnt see life in its potential earlier because i am sad that i missed out on so many good things due to both terrible depression and awful therapy.
thank god time is what we do have now.

Anonymous said...

everyday should be "awareness" day


Awake In Rochester said...

I use to be fascinated with suicide. Now I’m not. A good sign.

Dr. Deb said...

Thanks for all your comments and stories.


Unique said...

I did not even know there was a world suicide prevention day, so I have learned something.

I shall read more later.

Barbara K. said...

Does this include people who have a desperate, debilitating, painful, and/or terminal illness and choose to end their life rather than continue to suffer? Is the choice of euthanasia considered suicide? And even if it is - this is the one form of suicide that I believe is justified.

ritu said...

i tried to kill my self for some one who is happily living his life enjoying all pleasure of life . now i realize what a fool i was . i assume his fun to be true love . but even if it was love or fun what ever for him , why the hell was i trying to kill my self . i thought i was exceptional and that i couldn't be cheated . some thing that i couldn't take those days but now i laugh on my state of those days