Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Ten Tips to Keep "You" in Yuletide Cheer


The holiday season can be a time of great joy, connection and celebration. And if you find yourself feeling the warmth of the season, you are lucky.

Many, though, do not find the holidays a time for celebration. Family strife, financial woes, traumatic memories and even loneliness can make the season dark, not bright.

If you are having a rough time as the holidays approach, here are some tips to keep YOU in this Yuletide Season.

1. Put yourself first.

2. Don't over-schedule your time.

3. Keep a limit on spending.

4. Avoid triggers that set old traumas into motion.

5. Focus on what you can control.

6. Choose to do things you want to do, not have to do.

7. Keep expectations realistic.

8. Don't be afraid to delegate or ask for what you need.

9. Stay in the present and look toward the future.

10. Use your senses to find beauty and peace in small moments around you.





13 comments:

Wanda's Wings said...

Wonderful suggestions.

TK said...

Amen, sister! Thanks for the wisdom--and hugs from across the Sound. xox

CrackerLilo said...

Great reminder, and great illustration, too. (I felt so smart when I figured it out!)

This year, we chose to skip the annual Christmas reunion with my extended family. Instead, we're doing something *fun* with our time and money, and I'll have a short visit with my mother this weekend. I felt guilty at first, but right now I feel so good and so free, and I'm enjoying this season so much more!

S'onnie said...

Great suggestions :). I have already decided that I am going to make my favorite dinner on christmas day - its not exactly xmassy food but hey who cares I am the one eating it.

I am working through other wise so this means I don't really have to spend too much time on my own because its being on my own that really brings on the negative thinking

Xmichra said...

Merry Giftmas dr.Deb :)

Jade said...

I will definitely try a few of these. Hope you have a great holiday Deb.

Carie said...

they are such great suggestions, but so hard to do...this christmas is going to be hard, but I am trying

Rose said...

Great tips and advice....

Rose said...

So many people see this time of the year as painful and depressing. Your tips will help...

Marj aka Thriver said...

Great list! I'm finding all these helpful holiday lists that would be useful to abuse survivors. I may just have to get my butt in gear and organize a December BLOG CARNIVAL AGAINST CHILD ABUSE.

Thanks for helping me motivate! ;)

Kahless said...

I really like the picture you have used on your post.

Marj aka Thriver said...

Hey, Deb. I don't have time to do a full-blown blog carnival this month and I don't have another host lined up to do it, so I've decided just to do a quick "mini carnival" and list only links to Holiday Survival Tips posts. Unless you have any objection, I'm going to link in to this post when I do this tomorrow. (No need for any blog carnival submission form this time.) If you have any questions or concerns (or just don't want me to include yours) please comment ASAP at my blog or e-mail me at Thriver@survivorscanthrive.com. Thanks!

I hope this holiday season is treating you well. Wishing you much joy and peace.

Patricia Singleton said...

Thanks, Doctor Deb, for this wonderfully helpful list. Taking care of myself and my expectations sure does make things easier.