Saturday, July 18, 2009

WHYY Radio Interview on Stigma



On Monday, July 20th, I will be joining Dr. Dan Gottlieb on his wonderful radio show "Voices in the Family" talking about mental health stigma in television media.

As many of you know, addressing stigma has been a large focus of my professional and personal life. In my opinion, the greatest source for addressing stigma is to continually debunk the myths and stereotypes that shadow mental illness.

So if you want to give a listen live, the broadcast starts at noon. You can also send a tweet on Twitter or a direct email if you want to be part of the discussion. They'll also be a link to hear the program after it's aired. And Dr. Justin Richardson, technical advisor for the HBO show In Treatment, will be guesting with me.

So, here's to stamping out stigma.


7/20 UPDATE: Here is the link to the show if you want to listen to it:

13 comments:

Deb S. said...

How exciting! I'm putting this event on my calendar so that I can listen to the live broadcast. Way to go!

OHN said...

I am glad I clicked on the link. When I first read the post I assumed I had to be local to hear it....but I can listen live via computer. Technology--love it :)

(on a different subject...any recommendations for eating when I am in NYC (Manhattan, Village, Soho, Little Italy) on August 1 and 2? (No big chain food places and no big box stores..I want to sample the local flavor;)

Marie said...

Dr Deb-Decided to take my blog private. Please let me know if you are interested, I will send you a invitation e-mail.


I do agree we need to erase the stigma and fear that mental afflictions has egnited in society. I am tired being "labeled" a freak or a physco.

Dreaming again said...

I would love to listen in! I'll try to ...but I've got a neuro appt, therapy and I have to run by the college and straighten out a financial aid fiasco so that it's settled before school starts!

We'll see how the timing fits in

Dr. Deb said...

Deb,
I'm so happy to do the show. It will be a great experience for sure.

OHN,

These are my "go to" restaurants when I head NYC:
Near the Theatre District is "Vice Versa". I love this place: http://www.viceversarestaurant.com/index2.htm

Midtown is "Fresco": Delish Italian not too pricey: http://www.frescobyscotto.com/

In the Village is the "Knickerbocker Grill". The chocolate souffle is to die for:
http://www.knickerbockerbarandgrill.com/

Soho is Aquagrill. The best seafood. We usually do lunch there: http://www.aquagrill.com/aboutuspage.htm

Hey Marie,
I already checked in at your new blog.

Dreaming,
If you can great. If you can't that's okay too. I thought I'd let my readers know about it.

Casdok said...

Hope your debunking goes well!! Much needed.

Raine said...

I am sure that many of wil be listening

Wanda's Wings said...

Oh this sounds wonderful!

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

I want to listen! Which time zone is it? I don't want to miss it.

CrackerLilo said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be listening! Congratulations on the opportunity.

OHN said...

Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the interview, Deb - very interesting :)

Donna

STAG said...

Bless you for your good works.