Monday, June 30, 2008

Subconscious Motivation

Psychological Science reports that reading motivational words can really help you reach goals. The subtlety of these positive subliminal messages register in the subconscious mind. When absorbed, these motivational cues can help to create positive change.

Make sure the words or phrases you choose are within view- so that you can subconsciously keep your motivation going, even when you may not be on task. Be it sticky notes, motivational pictures, doodles or music, keep the communication upbeat and nurturing.

I am working on a big project, so my inspirational words would be Dream Big. I made the photo above with Flickr Toys , and use it as my screen saver. I have a few Post Its in neon colors around the home and office with the same phrase. And I have an iTunes playlist with dream themes!

So, what would your motivational words be?


Tracy said...

OHHHH Wonderful Idea. I shall be doing the same. Thank you for sharing this. It is a good reminder, that we need to keep positive thinking and ideas clearly in view and mind!

Angel Chasse said...

I can do it!
Simple, but I repeat it, especially in times of anxiety, which for me are still often. I am surprised by the fact that it does help to a point :) The power of suggestion :):)

PS... Rosie Odonnell is addicted to the word art you had up.. makes me feel connected to you and her :):)
I have mine printed out and on a bulletin board, I liked it so much :)

Take care! (stay out of the heat)


Deb said...

Dear Tracy,
Positivity is SO helpful!

Dear Angel,
Isn't it funny how things make the blog rounds. We are all connected to each other :)

'Tart said...

I think mine in my mind is : 'Keep trying!' No matter what happens, or what hurts, pick yourself up and try again.

What do you think of subliminal tapes, the ones that sound like soft music but supposedly are sending you good messages?

My desk is so cluttered that I am going 'down into the layers' and find myself surrounded with 'new' positive stuff that I had forgot about, LOL!

Good post, Dr. Deb.:)

traci said...

Currently my positive feedback to myself is "I am enough." There've been many many different ones though!

Grumpy Old Man said...

When this stuff gets too treacly for you, go here.

As a confirmed pessimist (miner's canary), I find them delightfully disheartening.

healthskills said...

I love this - and great to see it's supported by research!
I don't always think in words, so images can be helpful too - think of a dolphin (to remind me to dip in and out of hypnosis, and to come up for air periodically!), ferns unfurling (we're always growing, reaching for the light), and my favouritest - the beach, and pools in the sand and rocks (the ever-changing nature of the shore, the constancy of the rhythm of the waves, that what goes out, will come in, and when I walk along the same piece of beach, it will always be different in some small way).
A saying I use with patients?
How you do anything is how you do everything. I could change it to 'how you view anything is how you view everything'.

Kahless said...

"Speak Truth
sometimes it hurts but it sets you free."

denise said...

This ones hard for me but I guess it would be "Yes it /you do matter" because I have spent most of my life being told I dont matter and that my feelings arent valid. I am slowly warming up to the idea that i have a valid opinion. so.. quirky as it sounds this would be my motivating words.

Bill said...

Motivational words for me....


"Don't Get Caught"

seems appropriate somehow.

Maybe "Keep the Wife Happy" seems popular.

I settled on my screen saver, which shows a picture of a camel with its lips peeled back, probably about to spit at the camera man, and captioned with "Smile AT LEAST Three Times a Day",

seems to help even when I don't feel like smiling.

Bipolar Wellness Writer said...

Very nice post. I'm reading this late at night and oddly enough just finished my own post, quoting James W. Pennebaker on the same topic. I strongly believe in expressing positive emotions!


phd in yogurtry said...

at the moment, "slow down"

not so inspirational, huh? but necessary right now. a full life is good. but not so good on the lower back!

Katt said...

You Can Do It!!! those are mine... Im learning to come out from under all the negative things that have been spoken to and about me for so many years.

I love this post. Thanks for sharing

United We Lay said...

I heard about this on Oprah the other day. I don't know what my words would be. I'm a prett positive person when it comes to achieving my goals.

The Lone Beader said...

My words are 'Life is short.'...

Deb said...

Dear Tart,
Keep Trying is a great one.

Dear Traci,
I am enough is a very important one too.

Dear GOM,
The link is broken.

Dear Healthskills,
I can't believe it. I use that same phrase to. The way you do anything is the way you do everything!

Truth can set your free. Tis true.

Dear Denise,
VAlidation of one's importance or of something important is so essential.

Dear Bill,
Whatever can help you along is what counts.

Dear Susan,
I love when blogposts dovetail with each other!

Dear Ph.D.
Slow down is important. Just as you say. There's more to life than increasing its speed.

Dear Katt,
Come out from the dark and the negative words. See who you want to be. Who you are and what you want to become.

Dear United,
So great that you are a positive person.

Dear Lone,
Ah yes. Make the most of life now, because it is short.

about jenji said...

jenji's current post-it collection throughout the house:

It doesn't matter how slowly you go, so long as you don't stop. Confucius

Courage faces fear and thereby masters it.

It's never too late to be what you might have been--George Eliot

Perfection creates impotence


It's not about you, jenji!

Drink water!

Did you write today?

Buy milk.

I find that posting the positive is a fantastic source for subliminal reinforcement.


Deb said...

These are so great


Grumpy Old Man said...

From the half-empty glass:

Never give a sucker an even break.

There's one born every minute.

You can't fight City Hall.

No one ever lost money because he overestimated the intelligence of the American people.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow.

S**t happens, and then you die.

Society needs us depressives--someone has to warn about the bears and wolves in the woods.

Anand Dhillon said...

Great idea.

I like "The obstacles are there to see how bad you want it"

about jenji said...


Noodle left this comment for you on my last post:

@ Deb: I think there was a recent recall of the Sharper Image ionizers because they've been shown to be dangerous/carcinogenic and damaging to the ozone, ironically enough.


Awake In Rochester said...

My good doctor,
If you have any suggestions besides setting limits. I'm all ears!

Good post. I had 2 signs in my living room, but took them down due to company. But after reading this I will put them back up. ;o)

Barbara K. said...

My husband gave me my words to live by:

Always take time to stop and eat the roses

jumpinginpuddles said...

never give up

closetWriter© said...

WOW , this blog entry came at the right time for me... motivational words, huh? Well I hadn't given it much mental thought but maybe I have--- what's working for me right now is the principles of positive thinking. No particular word just mind frame. Ummm I'm gonna adopt me a motivational word just to keep in my mental pocket.

Thanks for the suggestion~

Teresa Lynne said...

I do this all the time! I collect quotes, words, and any type of inspirational piece.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I think that no matter what "We" have to still apply ourselves :)

Grumpy Old Man said...

Remember The Old Philosopher, Eddie Lawrence.

Keep your head up high, take a walk in the sun, and never give up that ship!

Deb said...

Dear GOM,
Those are great quotes.

Dear Anand,
How true!

Dear Jenji,
Yikes! What will I do without my ionizer?

Dear Awake,
I think how you are approaching things is point-on.

Dear Barbara,
My puppy once said that me too. Then again, most of the things I learned in life come from watching my pets.

Determination and never giving up are SO important!

Dear Closetwriter,
I like your mental pocket phrase. I'm borrowing it and using that one from now on!

dear Teresa,
I'm a collector of great sayings too. I find them so meaningful.

Dear GOM,
Wasn't he a Catskill comedian?

spynster57 said...

I'm jumping a bit late here, but I've decided to use "Short Walls" as my phrase. As soon as I turned 50, I started hearing doors closing - as in opportunities becoming more limited. But after reading this post, I've decided to look at it a different way. Doors not needed,just keep the walls short enough to hop over. : - ))

J.D. said...

Oh I love that!
On my desk now is: "Embrace your dreams with passion." I see it each morning before I start anything at my desk. For me, it means "owning" my wants, my dreams, and not being afraid of them.
Only just now catching up with the latest entries!
I've moved to my new home:
Typepad expires in a few weeks.

April D said...

I'm going with "Happy Power" for now. I'm usually a very upbeat person anyways but just having that little reminder of how POWERFUL happiness can be makes me smile already. Thanks for this post! :D

hopefaithbelieve said...

I think this is a wonderful idea. I know when my mind is in a positive state, my life seems great. The same life, when I am not thinking positively, seems awful. Hmmmmm..makes you think the power of suggestion really does work.

Orlando Fernandes said...

You are doing fine, dont stop, keep pushing ahead!

I like to think visually too, always see myself pushing through that limiting wall...