Wednesday, October 10, 2007

World Mental Health Day

World Mental Health Day has been celebrated annually on the 10th of October since1992.

This year's campaign is: Mental health in a changing world: The impact of culture and diversity.

Culture can influence many aspects of mental health - including how individuals from a given culture communicate and manifest symptoms, coping style, the kind of family and community supports - and their willingness or reluctance in seeking treatment.

The goal of World Mental Health Day is to address stigma and to show that mental illness is neurobiological - not a scarlett letter with which to be ashamed or a weakness of someone's character. And this year's theme highlights the importance of culture and diversity among us all.

Here are a some worldwide links to check out:

Asia Pacific Region
New Zealand
Russia, Ukraine & Belarus
South Africa
South America
South East Europe
Western Pacific Region
United Kingdom
United States



Fallen Angels said...

A while back I read somewhere (a Sociology text maybe?) that in some cultures, mental illness' that include hallucinations as a symptom are far less stigmatized than they are in industrialized/western cultures. The explanation for that was that cultures that seek out "visions" such as Native Americans, Aus. Aboriginies and many African cultures, see "visions" without the dancing, fasting, drugs etc as a gift and sign of being from a higher plane than the average person. I really find that interesting and wish that more people could have at least part of that attitude of acceptance.

Godwhacker said...

What a great day today is. It's sad that there is still so much stigma with regard to mental health in the modern world. We are not living in the 8th century! We wouldn't think less of a person if they were physically ill, yet the mind is an attribute that is seated in our physiology.

A friend of mine once commented on what a better place the world would be if we all had a good lover, a good psycho-therapist, and a good masseuse. Check, check, and check here :)

FYI: Tomorrow is national coming out day, and yes I'm gay :)

The Lone Beader said...

I didn't know about this day. Thanks for posting this.

Marj aka Thriver said...

Thanks for another informative and awareness-raising post, Dr. Deb!

...and in honor of World Mental Health Day and all you do I celebrate you and your blog by hereby awarding you with the Caring Blogger Award. Congrats!

Dreaming again said...

Oh, I wish I'd realized this earlier! My son needed a topic for his english paper!! As a child who does not try to hide his Tourette's syndrome, but rather revels in it (I'm Normal in my Abnormalities!) it would have made the perfect topic!

I'm taking my husband to the doctor right now, but when I get back, it may be the perfect time to do an update on my "Swamp Plant & Cactus" post about my kids ... especially since my oldest turns 18 on Sunday *eeeks*

Clare said...

Thanks for raising awareness of this day Deb as I didn't even know it existed.

Hope you are doing okay.

Aimée said...

I too did not know that this existed, so thank you for spreading the word. Awhile back I did a post on breaking the stigma that has shows some campaigns the US and the UK are doing and ways we can get involved either by donating or getting high schools or colleges involved that might be worth checking out for more information:

Having a strong support system is so vital so any spouses or friends reading, please be there for your loved ones who are suffering. :)

SAM said...

Thanx for the recall!

I have just posted on this matter in my blog in portuguese.

It's interesting that everyday we need to see more and more that humankind is one, and that we are all interconected like the fingers of one hand.

Lets hope that this symbolic day, with such a thematic, can be of any progress of this inreconnection between us.

Lynn said...

I can only hope that one day there will be an 'awareness day' that validates the reality of interpersonal trauma in childhood at the source of many, many so-called 'mental ilnesses'. I must admit that it irritates me a bit that survivors of abuse are ultimately the ones who carry labels. Abusers, if they are parents, mostly get off being known as 'the people who did the best they could' when so many of them were little better than terrorists. It seems that this ultimate awareness is taboo in society. This very taboo is ill-making. If people were not programmed by society to continue to protect and honor abusive parents (ignore, deny and minimize their abuse), then more people could have their truth and recover from their 'mental illness'.

Casdok said...

Thank you for posting this, it is so important.

alan said...

That stigma needs to driven from our culture; the sooner the better!


Guilty Secret said...

Great news here in UK: £170 million per year to be spent on talking therapies until 2010 :)

Meow (aka Connie) said...

It's good that issues such as mental health are more "out there" these days, not like in the past, where things like this were just swept under the carpet. It is certainly time that people realise that mental health problems can occur in any family, and affect any of us.
Thanks for the information, Deb.
Sorry I haven't been around much lately.
Hope you are well.
Take care, Meow

princessdominique said...

Hey just wanted to stop by. Last I hear you were on vacation. Hope it was fun.

Dr. Deb said...

Dear Fallen,
I agree.

Dear GW,
The list your friend offers is a great one!

Dear Lone,
Sadly, it doesn't get as much press as perhaps it could.

Dear MArj,
Thank you for the nod.

Dear Dreaming,
The next time your son needs a topic you can search for World Awareness Days. There are many throughout the year.

Dear Clare,
I am good, you too, I hope. :)

Dear Aimee,
A srtong support system IS essential.

Dear Sam,
That;s great to get the word out there. For a World Awareness Day, I don't see a lot in the news, healthcare centers, etc here. But I try to give awareness days a shout out when I can.

Dear Lynn,
I think labels help people get a sense of things. But they are limiting, for sure. So, I get what you are saying.

Dear Casdok,
Anything to help the cause! And I linked you.

Dear Alan,
Stigma in all subjects for all people, right!!!!!!!

Dear Guilty,
Wow, that's brilliant!

Dear Meow,
Happy to see you here :)

Dear Princess,
It was very restful. I'll be by to visit soon.


Maddy said...

A giggle a day keeps the doctor away - simple straightforward and doable!
BEst wishes

Scott said...

Hmmm . . . Is mental illness less frowned upon in America now that 95% of us are chewing on Prozac every day?

Note: 78.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot. LOL.

jumpinginpuddles said...

we raise awareness here in our state with a walk the reason that whilst walking people share just like a cuppa.

khushnood said...

It would raise awareness about mental health.Your post reminded me of it.
@ interesting health articles

puhpaul said...

Holy smoke, I wish I knew it was mental health day earlier. I was having a mild mental meltdown on Wednesday contemplating having to present at a teacher's conference yesterday and today.


S'onnie said...

There has been a big advertising campaign here in NZ For several years that is about improving the way most nz'ers interact or react to those with a mental health issue.

The adverts have included famous New Zealanders including a rugby great!

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hooray for World Mental Health Day. People must change their wrong notions of mental illnesses. This is one of the reasons for celebrating World Mental Health Day. Thanks for the post. Smile. God bless and have a nice and prefect weekend.

dragonflyfilly said...

hi dr.Deb.
thanks for stopping by and a be-lated happy thanksgiving to you too!

...and yes, thanks for this post too, does seem like poor mental health is on the rise, and of course there are many and varied of which IS the increase of these distructive "growth potential" groups which only operate for the profit and grandization of the leaders!

..sorry to sound like a harpie, but I have been doing a lot of investigation into Landmark, Est, Insight, PSI and other groups.

I hope you don't mind me citing these on your Blog (if it is problematic then I won't be offended it you delete this comment)..

cheers for now,

Rose said...

Thanks so much for continously raising awareness about mental health and other health issues.

kath said...

mental health day ?

who gets to choose when we are there?
mentally healthy...?

So many variations on that theme, I think...

Are the kids that I work with mentally healthy? am I ?

oh well... but great post as always Deb!

Dr. Deb said...

Dear MAddy,
Laughter is good medicine.

Dear Scott,
I so enjoy your wit. I think we are still stigma bound in the US. And in much of the world as well.

Dear JIP,

Dear Khusnood,

Dear Paul,
Oh, I hope it went well. I get nervous when I have to present too.

Dear S'Onnie,
THAT is so great to know. NZ rocks.

Dear MEl,
Taking the stigma out of mental illness could begin by us calling it a neurobiological illness.

Dear Dragonfly,
Nah, its ok.

Dear Rose,
If only all cultures could understand the science of it...perhpas more lives can be saved and/or made better.

Dear Kath,
I don't believe in anything "normal". I do believe in uniqueness. We all have something as no one is made perfect. But I do like the idea of these awareness days bringing educational information to the masses.


krystyna said...

Thanks much for this post!

Smith said...

Thanks for sharing! Mental Health is really A Big Issue. Mental health conditions affect our behavior, even our daily activities. So, It's just as important to our lives as our physical health.