Thursday, April 26, 2007

More Pareidolia: This Time It's "Faces"

The neurological/psychological phenomenon by which the brain interprets vague images as specific ones is called Pareidolia .

See the face here? Kinda looks sad to me.

And here? Looks grumpy to me.

Totally a happy face here.

A bearded face. To me it looks weary.


Ian Lidster said...

When I was very young (about 4)I used to see faces in the fronts of cars and liked the ones that seemed to have happy and welcoming faces. My dad had a '53 Chev that looked angry to me with snarly teeth in the grille. But yes, I have always found faces in inanimate objects.


alan said...

Sometimes I look up at clouds and wonder what part of me is asleep that makes it so much harder to see the animals and things I used to...

Thanks for the smile this brought!


Miranda said...

This may sound weird, but I see faces in many things. I can stare at trees, or almost anything and find them.

Dreaming again said...

Ian, I love looking for faces in cars!!! The new lawn mower tractors, have the best faces!!!

That tree looks familiar ... I think I saw it in the mirror this morning!!! *yikes*

Godwhacker said...

The first one looks a little scary to me, but I love Mr. Zipper mouth.

Dr Vegas said...

Mr Zipper is my favourite too

Reiki 4 Life said...

those are awesome!

James said...

Those are great!! This is a fun post.

I see faces in all kinds of things too. I had a very vivid imagination when I was a child and never lost it. I see a face on one of the pipes in the back of the washing machine, the Great Pyramids of Giza in the shower tiles and entire cities in the textured ceilings--the ones with the tiny glitter bits in them.

I'm an artist so I see a lot of things in my dreams too that I paint. My dreams are often lucid in nature.

I also enjoy looking at an Aspen leaf up close and seeing an entire interstate network in the veins.

Sunnie Dee said...

I always see faces in things. It makes things so much more interesting I think :)

Nancy said...

I love 'seeing object' on objects. it keeps my imagination going. were would we be without things that make us smile. great post. The zipper face reminds me of a crappy co worker. Every time I see him I will think of that pic.

Sid said...

If you had posted the pictures without saying anything else, I never would have seen the faces. Is that a bad thing? lol

Dr. Deb said...

Dear Ian,
Vintage cars have wonderful faces! Not so much now though. I can see the grill of the '53 and yes, it looked like snarly teeth!

Dear Alan,
I think as we age (almost 50 here myself) our brains chug along at a slower rate. Alas, takes us longer to see, experience, etc.

Dear Miranda,
We are hardwired to "see" such things. Isn't it amazing?

Dear Dreaming,
I haven't seen the new lawnmower faces. I'll have to get to the home stores and linger in that department!

Dear GW,
The zipper one is my fav too.

Dear Dr. Vegas,
Ah, great minds think alike!

Dear Reiki,
Aren't they fun?

Dear James,
I know what you mean. I can see alot of things in ordinary objects as well. Love the interstate in the leaf. I SO get that one!

Dear Sunnie,
I have some more of these, and will post them at a later time. I have to say, finding these photos is a very enjoyable past time for me!

Dear Nancy,
So funny that you will NOW think of your co-worker as the zipper face.

Dear Sid,
No, it's not a bad thing. Sometimes we need suggestion to see things. I bet once you read the words, you could see the faces right away, right?


Angel Chasse said...

Hey Dr Deb!
Love this post. Just what I needed for a little pick me up on a Friday :) I hope your weekend is splendid!!!


Angel Chasse (again)

Todd and in Charge said...

Maybe it's because I like tennis so much, but the tennis balls that create a smiley face is one of my favorites...

Shannon A. Long said...

Me too, Alan. I remember being little and being able to see anything in anything. Now clouds only look like... clouds.

Mr. Zipper is the best.

Ms.L said...

I like to look for faces in mountains and in wood.
It's a fun game to play!

OHN said...

As a child we lived in a house that had all natural wood doors inside. The one that was nearest the front door had the most evil appearance that I was always too frightened to go near it at night. Knowing what I know now, they were probably quite expensive doors at the time. Funny what we can remember from so long ago when something triggers a thought.

Midwife with a Knife said...

The instinct our brain has to find patterns in things is fascinating. I'm sure it's some sort of evolutionary benefit. :)

princessdominique said...

That was nice. I'm imagining we do the same thing looking at clouds.

Candace said...

When I run across things like this, I challenge myself to see the object as a "not face." It's impossible. For me, anyway.

SkyeBlue2U said...

Dr. Deb, Hi! I sometimes see images or faces in old weathered trees often wondered if that's where our souls go.

Marj aka Thriver said...

Wow! I had no idea there was a name for this. I do this all the time--sometimes it drives me a little bonkers because it's distracting. I'll even do it in a woodgrain pattern on a piece of furniture or in carpeting. Faces everywhere--kinda eerie!

~Deb said...

I saw the Virgin Mary in the piece of toast first. Really. I did. ;)

jumpinginpuddles said...

yep can see them but then again we also think some cars front bumnpers smile also lol like sunnie it makes life more interesting

jumpinginpuddles said...

oh and another thing i still reckon some potatoes have faces on them to the sad ones we cant even peel how sad is that :P

Big Brother said...

I read somewhere that our minds are always trying to make order out of chaos, so it sees things even when they aren't there. But I must admit the the front of my 2006 Subaru Impreza looks very aggressive. Good post it was fun reading it. :o)

Traci said...

That is too funny! It's amazing how our minds work.

Dr. Deb said...

Hey Angel,
It is fun to see faces in things.

Dear Todd,
Yes, I can see a face there too! A smiley one.

Dear Shannon,
That's my favorite one too.

Dear Ms. L.
Me too!!!

Dear OHN,
It is funny how something brings you back in time.

Dear Midwife,
Our brain is amazing!

Dear Princess,
Clouds, trees, just about anything.

Dear Candace,
There must be some reason why some can see these faces so readily while others cannot. I wonder, are you left handed?

Dear Skye,
Maybe so.

Dear MArj,
I spilled some tea across the table the other day and it made this rather fantastic face. At least it was a cute face. Not scary!

Dear ~Deb,
I totally believe you.

Dear JIP,
Oh yes, cars, potatoes. I agree. Some faces are sweet, others sad, scary, etc.

Dear Big Brother,
YEs, this pehonomenon has to do with our hard-wiring in the brain to make sense of things in the world. Amazing stuff, right?

Dear Traci,
So gald this post could make you smile.


Cathy said...

So there's a name for the psychological problem with peopel who see the Virgin Mary in potatoe chips! Is there a cure? ;)
Or perhaps only treatment?...

patientanonymous said...

These ones were easier this time...maybe it's the Seroquel they're giving me while I'm in here *wink*

Hope you're well.


Meow said...

I often see faces in things ... the moon is my favourite ... it is usually smiling !!
Hope you are well.
Take care, Meow

Dr. Deb said...

Dear PA,
Hope you're feeling well too.

Dear Meow,
The moon is a great face!


Candace said...

Deb, nope, I'm not left-handed.

Dr. Deb said...

Dear Candace,
Ok, I was wondering about right brain left brain kinda things.