Here are some statistics for caregivers:
- There are more than 65 million people in the US alone who spend an average of 20 hours a week caring for a loved one.
- 1.4 million children ages 8 to 18 provide care for an adult relative.
- Approximately 66% of family caregivers are women.
- 14% of family caregivers care for a special needs child with an estimated 16.8 million caring for special needs children under 18 years old.
- Stress of family caregiving for persons with dementia has been shown to impact a person's immune system for up to three years after their caregiving ends thus increasing their chances of developing a chronic illness themselves.
- 20% of caregivers over 50 years old report symptoms of depression compared to 8% of their non-caregiving peers.
Being a family caregiver takes patience, dedication and love. Make sure you celebrate those in your life who look out for you and your well-being - and if you're a caregiver, it's vital to make time to care for yourself.