Saturday, October 22, 2011

How To Surgically Look Like Barbie


In the latest issue of O Magazine, model Katie Halchishick becomes the human diagram. Posing for photographer Matthew Rolston, her glamorous, Marilyn Monroe-type features are surgically outlined according to Barbie's proportions.

Here’s a breakdown of what she'd need done to be the kind of doll women aspire to: a brow lift, a jaw line shave, rhinoplasty, a cheek and neck reduction, a chin implant, scooped-out shoulders, a breast lift, liposuction on her arms, and tummy tuck, which would also have to be sculpted as if it were lined in whale-bone from the inside. And that’s just the half of her.

Halchishick doesn’t actually need or want any of these procedures. She’s proving a point: just because our distorted image of how a body should be is medically attainable, that doesn’t mean it should be attained.

I had a Barbie doll growing up, but I played with it only once or twice. She bothered me. Dressing her took too long, her shoes never stayed on and her hair felt rough and threadlike. I wonder if finding her undesirable was some kind of foreshadowing for things to come in my life. And don't get me started about Ken...


10 comments:

Wanda's Wings said...

The Barbie image sets one up for failure. No wonder there are so many eating disorders and poor self esteem present.

Symbiosis said...

Very relevant point given the emphasis of our society on looks and the idea of empty physical beauty that comforms to certain expectations...

Dr Shock said...

I like her the way she is, hold back the plastic surgeon

Judy (kenju) said...

I agree with Dr. Shock.

Dr. Deb said...

Wanda,
Yup. The Barbie doll has never been a good role model for girls or for boys!

Symbiosis,
Superficial is a focus, you're right. Sad trend.

Dr. Shock,
She is a beautiful woman, I agree.

Judy,
Me too :)

Xmichra said...

I loved my barbies, and never thought about issues with it to be truthful. It wasn't until I was older (I think 13) and someone told me that Barbie was a bad role model for girls did I ever think about it. I think maybe my mom worked it out so that I never thought I had to look like barbie... or something must have happened... because it seems I am a rarity with this. But honestly - i never had an issue with the doll.

I had issues with baby dolls, and their gear. Why people wanted me (a child) to look after a newborn was beyond the realm of reality for me. I was pretty adverse to them through my entire childhood.

Sometimes... I can agree that the media and the toy industry are not doing their due dilligence with what they are promoting. A lot of the time I can agree actually. but sometimes... I can't really think that it is them, and it all comes down to us and our own insecurities. What we choose to live by, guide, and teach. Sure we can ban our girls from Barbie... but is that really the message that we want to teach??

The entire idea makes me think.

Sid said...

I honestly do not understand how people can look at a plastic toy and think it's a role model of any kind, but especially for how the human face and body should be shaped. It's a TOY! But then again, I also don't understand how people can look at fashion magazines and come away with the same idea when they see the models. Both are concepts that I do not comprehend at all.

Guess I'll just be thankful that I never had an issue with this, never felt pressured by anyone...family, friends or even the media...to become someone else's unattainable idea of "perfection", and neither has my daughter. That's a good thing to be thankful for.

counselor ceus said...

I wonder how much the fallout (symptoms, disorders, treatment, hospital stays) is costing this county. If the cosmetics industry sales are any indicator/correlation, I suspect it is massive

STAG said...

Do you really think that a toy will cause life long psychological damage?

Dr. Deb said...

Xmichra,
I didn't like the baby doll thing either. I sense a trend for me, don't you. Was never a doll person to begin with. But, to each her (or his) own.

Sid,
I love that you found your voice and your daughter has too. Wonderful!

Counselor,
So many things press on the development of us adults as well as kids these days. I'm with you on the statistics being big.

Stag,
True, one experience does not solely shape who we are. But things can add up, y'know?