Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Pareidolia is a Cognitive Illusion

Pareidolia is a the tendency to see faces in inanimate objects. This neuropsychological phenomenon is sometimes called a cognitive illusion - whereby our eyes see something and our mind interprets its structure. The result is the experience of seeing something that really is not there.

Have some fun and see if you can find the faces in these photos. My favorite is the face of the dog in the clouds. Which is yours?


















12 comments:

Amalie said...

omg, that is so cool. It's like once you see the face you can't see it a anything ele

Dreaming again said...

you (and your blog) were quoted in my Intro to Counseling today... I saw your name and blog address on the power point and wished I'd had my laptop with me!

Dr. Deb said...

Amalie,
Isn't it fun!

Dreaming,
What?!! That's totally random and awfully amazing at the same time!! Thanks for letting me know.

Von said...

Such fun!

Ami said...

Love pic #1.

I have a picture somewhere in my old computer where I saw the face of an old man in a tree's bark.

Everyone in my family thought I was crazy. Until the pictures came back. Then they could all see it.

Do you think they caught my crazy?

kenju said...

How fun!! I see them all and I love the spigot and faucets.

PTC said...

I love these things. I look out my window and see a building that looks like a face.

Dr. Deb said...

So glad you're all enjoying these!

Angeliki Bogosian said...

I love the roof!
All pictures so funny :-)

TK Kerouac said...

now I'll be looking for faces in everything!

Kahless said...

Definitely the cloud is best

Xmichra said...

I think my mind is prone to this. I remember when I was really young, we had put pink insulation in between our window panes, and i could swear I saw a burning at the stake kind of image. That haunted me for the winter, and then ever since. There are a lot of times where I see people or faces in nothing. Creepy.