Friday, July 23, 2010

Optical Illusions: Eyes/ Brain/ Mind

Optical illusions occur as a result of perception. Essentially, visual perception involves a three step process. 1) The eyes see 2)The information received is relayed to the brain 3)The mind reasons it all out.

Sometimes, though, what we see isn't what's really there. Below are three static, non-moving pictures from Mighty Optical Illusions. Take a look at how they "move" and "float" despite being fixed objects. This is a great lesson in learning how perception is not always an accurate experience. Gives new meaning to "seeing is believing", doesn't it?

For more on illusions link here










8 comments:

Xmichra said...

I remember a long long long time ago, I was at a friends party (and fairly done in) staring at this poster on the back of her door for hours. It was moving (like these) and I thought that if I could get my head to see that the items weren't moving, that I would be okay to move (thinking that the world was spinning and I was going to be sick). Turns out that it wouldn't have appeared to stop spinning no matter how long i stared... lol...

just reminded me of *back then*.

Wanda's Wings said...

They hurt your eyes after awhile.

OHN said...

Hey Dr. Deb....I haven't been around much but popped over to say hi.

It's a good thing I don't drink or I would think that I had had too much :)

These things always blow my mind. The brain is an amazing thing!

Hope you are having a good summer :)

Jade said...

Its amazing what the brain can do even in the absence of "recreational drugs"

I often wonder if things like this are common visuals for children diagnosed with autism. They develop such intense stares with certain visual stimulation..

Anonymous said...

trippy!


::jeremy::

Anonymous said...

Luv this. Brilliant how it all moves.

Kahless said...

Er, only the third one moved for me!

Dr. Deb said...

The second one moves the least for me. The first and third seem more fluid to me.