Thursday, April 01, 2010

April 2nd is World Autism Day

World Autism Awareness Day falls on Friday, April 2nd, 2010. The campaign urges people to 'Stand Up for Autism,' and brings together Autism organizations from around the world.

Worldwide, there over 60 million people with Autism - and even more who are undiagnosed or looking for help.

For more: go here and here

Hertz-Picciotto, I., & Delwiche, L. (2009). The Rise in Autism and the Role of Age at Diagnosis Epidemiology, 20 (1), 84-90 DOI: 10.1097/EDE.0b013e3181902d15


Wanda's Wings said...

It's a wonderful cause.

phd in yogurtry said...

60 Million .. is that right? Amazing.

I am intriqued with Austistic Spectrum Disorders, especially on the low-mild end. I live in a high-tech area and run across this diagnostic rule out often. And looking back on my caseload over the years, thinking I've missed a few.

I read Dr. Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures a couple years ago. Wow, what an eye opener. Simply incredible read. From so many perspectives. Very helpful clinically. (Though yes, she veers into pedantic tangents as might be expected). But would like to read more.

Any suggestions, Dr. Deb?

Dr. Deb said...

I think every day is an " awareness day", but I like these awareness day health related campaigns. It brings light to subjects and causes.

Grandin's book is great as is her 2008 book, "The Way I See It". Check that one out and John Robison's "Look Me In The Eye: My Life with Asperger's".

Casdok said...

Thank you:)
For us its every day to!

tracy said...

My son has Asperger's. He is amazingly smart, has a hilarious sense of humor and i wouldn't trade him for the world. i just wish i could take away the awful fear of social situations.

Jodi Picoult's new novel

"House Rules" has taught me more than any dry non-fiction text. i highly reccomend it, very good and told from several points of view.

i love my "baby" dearly. He is 18.

Dr. Deb said...

I *JUST* ordered her new book. Can't wait to read it. Thanks for the recommendation.