Friday, January 01, 2010

January is National Mentoring Month



There are few relationships in life that are more influential than those between a mentor and a young person. I know this from both sides of the coin. You see, I have had many a mentor in my life growing up. A person who took a unique interest in me, fostered my growth and guided me onward.

I have also been a mentor to young children and young adults. The experience has been so rewarding and meaningful to me. In fact, research shows that mentoring is an extraordinary experience for all involved.

January is National Mentoring Month. Be mentor. Change a life. And transform your own. Link here for more information.


Pedersen, P., Woolum, S., Gagne, B., & Coleman, M. (2009). Beyond the norm: Extraordinary relationships in youth mentoring Children and Youth Services Review, 31 (12), 1307-1313 DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2009.06.001

13 comments:

Wanda's Wings said...

Mentoring is a wonderful thing.

Lisa Marie said...

I agree. I always have one or two students that I hone in on each year to show them that someone cares for them because they want to, not because they have to. Even as their teacher, they can see that they can trust me and talk to me if they need to!

Belizegial said...

Dr. Deb,

Happy New Year!

I can clearly recall mentors from my youth who helped guide me onto the right path in life. In return, I am a mentor not only to my own children but to other youths as well that I encounter along the way.

HP said...

Lucky the individuals who had you as their mentor!

Universities should encourage this more....later students mentoring younger students...might reduce drop out rates

S'onnie said...

ngā mihi o te tau hou! (happy new year) I have had a couple of mentors in my life that had they not been there I don't think I would be where I am now. they put a lot of time and effort into me and trust me at that time I was not the easiest person to spend time with .

lightfeather said...

Yay! Dr. Deb!! You are still blogging! I think I'm coming back home. I managed to get one out. Will you please visit me again?

Just Be Real said...

Dr. Deb, thank you for this post. Mentoring can be truly a blessing. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Tiptoe said...

I agree that mentoring can have profound effects on people. It's such a unique relationship and a reminder how one person can make a difference in someone's life.

Deb S. said...

Thanks for the heads up on National Mentoring Month. This is the tip of the week.

Mentoring does make a difference in a person's life. I can attest to that and so can my children.

Happy New Year!

mrwriteon said...

I couldn't begin to express how much value I place in the concept of mentorship. It's what keeps the world sane. I have been a mentor in the past and continue to be so. And I've had many mentors in my life.

wlacny said...

Dr. Deb I found Your blog accidentally while searching for details about "marshmallow test" conducted by Walter Mischel.
I am currently writing a thesis about delayed gratification and need detailed info on "marhsmallow test" If You have anything or can provide reliable source please let me know.
Huuge thanks in advance.
Wojtek(wlacny@gmail.com)

Ms.L said...

Our homeschooling group really believes in the benefits of mentoring. We try to create that
environment as much as we can:)

Dr Vegas said...

That's a nice coincidence - I've just registered with a mentor and have my first session later this month. I guess it extends to the UK too!