Thursday, January 28, 2010

5 Tips For Relieving Burnout

It starts with fatigue. You feel tired and overwhelmed, and you struggle to get things done. Soon negative thoughts come into play - and your cynicism leads you to feel helpless. Before you know it, you're in a state of Burnout.

Whether it is work, school or family, sometimes Burnout gets the better of us. Here are 5 tips to help bring balance back in your life.

1. Re-adjust your priorities. Cast aside things that don't need your immediate attention.

2. Delegate more. Call in the cavalry to help get things done. Consider saying "NO" more and "Yes" less.

3. Invite sensory and calming experiences like music, touch and rest into your day.

4. Bring color and beauty into your world. Buy flowers, look at art, experience nature.

5. Exercise. Get your body moving and breathe, breathe, breathe.


onelongjourney said...

Certainly the right time of the year for a post like this. I'm feeling burned out in nearly *all* phases of life right now. :(

Awake In Rochester said...

Good ideas! I burnedout long ago. I'm trying to get back on track, but think that I'm stuck in a fight or flight thing.

Dreaming again said...

Dr. Deb, Wanda, from called me this afternoon. Her son, Chris ...about 24 years old, I think, passed away today. The few details I had on her blog. She did not feel like talking.

Dr. Deb said...

Dear One,
I tend to feel January/Feb are my most exhausting months. Must be the lack of sunshine for me. Hope you renew and refuel soon too.

Dear Awake,
I know you will get back on track soon.

Dear Dreaming,
Oh, what sad news. I will visit her blog now. Thanks for letting me know.

Lily said...

I can't agree more with #3 and #5. Music and exercise are my best friends.

Cuddling up with a pet works really well too :)

Just Be Real said...

Appreciate you posting these tips. Thank you.

mrwriteon said...

Exercise works wondrously well for me. Oh, and a bit of art (which is why I'm taking live drawing classes right now), and some music. It's all good. Oh, and responding to thoughtful blogs like yours helps, too.

Anonymous said...

sleep for me is great for burnout.

:: jeremy::

Marj aka Thriver said...

These are all excellent ideas. Thanks for sharing them with us, Dr. Deb! I especially like the idea of asking for help and learning to say no.

Dr. Deb said...

Yes, cuddling with pet is a great way to de-stress.

You bet.

Mr. Writeon,
I am sloth-like and tend to balk at movement, but exercise IS great for well-being. Must be why I love owning cats vs. dogs.

Catching Zzzs is a good thing - so long as it's not too much sleep.

It's so important to delegate and say no sometimes!

jumpinginpuddles said...

this is a good for us also as we embark on full time schooling studying to be a chef, which has huge problems with burnout.

To counteract that we have joined a gym which also has a swimming pool so that we dont take burnout home with us.

heres hoping our thinking works :)

Christine Bonsmann said...

It can be so difficult to take the time to nurture ourself when so many demands are place upon us. thank you for the timely reminder!