Monday, November 16, 2009

Optimism and Your Heart

Two recent issues of the journal Circulation include studies showing that positive thinking and health are interconnected.

In this study over 90,000 American women were followed for eight years, tracking their levels of optimism and heart attack rate. The results showed that the least optimistic subjects had higher incidences of heart attacks. The other study evaluated optimism and Coronary Heart Disease in over 2,000 Canadian men and women - and found that positive thinking resulted in a lower risk for CHD.

Positive Psychology is the study of positive thinking, thriving and resiliency and focusing on strengths-based traits. Though many of us are genetically wired to see the glass half full, you can learn how to accentuate the positive.

I'm a half full person.

What are you?

Tindle, H., Chang, Y., Kuller, L., Manson, J., Robinson, J., Rosal, M., Siegle, G., & Matthews, K. (2009). Optimism, Cynical Hostility, and Incident Coronary Heart Disease and Mortality in the Women's Health Initiative Circulation, 120 (8), 656-662 DOI: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.827642


Sharon S said...

I'm a totally half full person too...said with a smile. Pass it on :)

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

I have converted from a half emtpy to a half full, but its something I have to be constantly aware of. Those neg. thoughts still creep in and now I stop them and turn them around.

OHN said...

I am always half full. I always think that no matter what I am going through, someone else has it much worse.

I have a sister-in-law that is half empty and the contents are rotting and the glass is cracked.

Every time I have to talk to her, when I hang up, I feel lousy! (I try to talk to her as little as possible;)

Belizegial said...

I usually look at the half full glass and express optimism where appropriate. Good for my heart and my cholesterol levels as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Casdok said...

I'm a half full person and am sure it has helped me through difficult times with C.

Battle Weary said...

I'm a half full person, too. Unless depression has really taken hold, then it's "glass, there is no glass!" :P Fortunately I haven't sunk into depression for quite a while.

Grumpy Old Man said...

Half empty.

On the other hand, at my age I'm above the earth and not under it, so maybe half full.

Grumpy Old Man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jumpinginpuddles said...

since we started sayinbg what we can do instead of what we cant we have started to find we are less sick and have much more energy

natasha said...

Hi, is currently in the progress of choosing blogs to receive recognition from as Top Blogs. This award is not meant to be anything other than a recongnition that your blog gives information about tactics that directly or in directly raise health awareness and prevent the transmition of Disease. Simply place the award banner code on your site and your blog will be listed as a Top Blog on is a Private Global Health Watch Group. Whose goal is to promote healthy living though the spread of information globally. Thank you for your dedication to your blog.
Please email me back with subject line of your URl for the award banner code. This is to avoid spam and to make sure YOU get the Award.

Thank you,

Marj aka Thriver said...

Great post! I totally believe in the mind-body-spirit connection. This is just another point of proof for it.

Willow's Bridge said...

I'm always half full ... maybe even full when it's really only half full ;o)
Finding the balance between truly cheerful and not being in denial of negative emotions is where I'm trying to find my place.

OHN ... I've known people like that too (half empty, rotting, cracked and to top it off, they dropped it on their toe!)

Oh, this is Peggikaye ... new blog that's not private opened up, hopefully about my journey in school working toward my psychology degree.

Ms.L said...

Half full,half full,half full!
Although,I'll admit to having moments of half empty. But usually,another person is right there for me to show me another
way to look at something and then
not only am I back to half full but I've learned a valuable lesson,
I can then use again and pass on to others.
Glad to know that being positive
really is good for our health!

Deb said...

We always make fun of my partner because she is always optimistic borderline "dreamer", and I'm more pessimistic and borderline cranky. Well, yes, cranky. She will outlive me, definitely!

Willow's Bridge said...

HELP!! Dr. Deb ... I'm taking Personality Theories this semester. (I have to say, it isn't my favorite psych class)

I have to give a presentation, with a group, on the Humanistic Perspective. My part is the critique ... where the humanistic perspective fails or isn't as effective as Maslow and Rogers thought it should be.

Do you know of any resources? Your opinion?
You can contact me via Pearls And Dreams blog, this new Blog or at my email


Kahless said...

I think I am naturally a over half full person.

Medical Spa MD said...

Half full. It's the only way to survive in this industry. My wife worked on an advertising campaign for optimism. The tagline was "Optimism--it doesn't suck." Needless to say, the campaign was successful, happier people all around.