Thursday, July 23, 2009

Aromatherapy Enhances Our Immune System


Scientists in Japan are reporting the first scientific evidence that experiencing certain fragrances can alter gene activity and blood chemistry in ways that reduce stress levels. Their study appears in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

For centuries, people have used lemon, lavender and vanilla, just to name a few, to help reduce stress, fight inflammation and depression - and even induce sleep. But now for the first time,
Linalool, a natural chemical found in flowers and spices, has been shown in this research to positively effect our body.


I'm a big lemon and lavender fan.


What about you?



Nakamura, A., Fujiwara, S., Matsumoto, I., & Abe, K. (2009). Stress Repression in by Linalool Inhalation and Gene Expression Profiling of Their Whole Blood Cells.
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57 (12), 5480-5485 DOI: 10.1021/jf900420g


17 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

This is cool! I do hope some pharmaceutical company doesn't try to make a linalool pill, though.

Yankee Candle makes a lemon-lavender candle. That's right, both in one. It is so good!

Dr. Deb said...

Oooh, both in one. I gotta check that out.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

I spray lavender every night before bed. This is very good news.

I need to stop by Yankee Candle and check out the lav/lemon candle, can't imagine it.

Casdok said...

I am also a fan of lemon and lavender as they seem to have some affect on C. The candle sounds a great idea!

Wanda's Wings said...

I like both lemon and lavender. a candle sounds like a great idea.

S'onnie said...

I love the smell of vanilla, frangipani and oranges. When choosing cleaning products I always go for the orange /citrus scented ones. I swear it just makes everything seem cleaner

~Just me again~ said...

I totally believe in that. I have lavender oil that I put a few drops on by my bed, helps me sleep.

I also have this aromatherapy inhaler for headaches, which works alot of the time. It has oils in it that work for headaches and stress.

Xmichra said...

I have the lemon lavander bars what you melt in a pot :) very pretty :)

Also, if you snore try using a candle with margoram, works like a charm.

Kahless said...

Lemon makes me want to puke!
lol!

PTC said...

I had a lavender pillow case but it made me nauseous. (I can't spell that work, ever!)

Sandy,PhD said...

At the genetic level, huh? That's incredible.

Lavender and roses are two favorites. I love that something as passive as smelling pleasant scents can be healthy. Easy-peasy. Not too many of life's "good for you's" are easy.

Battle Weary said...

I carry around a small bottle of lavender oil...it eases anxiety quite well, often. Very good at school since ativan (the second option puts me to sleep!

mrwriteon said...

Lemon and lavender work for me. So does vanilla.

Anonymous said...

I dig patchouli

jumpinginpuddles said...

vanilla and cinnamon

Anonymous said...

I'm big on lemon and orange scents. A lot of scents, such as vanilla or anything flowery, gives me almost immediate headaches.

Donna

Jen said...

I'm very big on lavendar and rosemary, but home-grown chamomile is far and away my favourite. It's considerably more potent than anything that you can get in stores, and is great for insomnia and stomach upsets.