Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Adam Duritz of "Counting Crows" Addresses Mental Illness

Adam Duritz, lead singer-songwriter for the band Counting Crows, has recently disclosed that he experiences a type of Dissociative Disorder and severe depression. In my armchair opinion, it appears that Duritz is describing Depersonalization Disorder, a category within Dissociative Disorders.

He writes about his experience here - naming the article "The Lonely Disease." The Counting Crows' new CD "Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings" is a double album. The first half focuses on Duritz's decline into illness and the second half about his recovery.

Below is the 1996 song "A Long December" and yes, it's Courtney Cox featured in the video.


~Deb said...

Wow, I never knew he went through that. I never even heard of this disorder. And it is true: if you're distant emotionally from the person you love...they will eventually leave.


therapydoc said...

It's good you brought this up, and I think the video makes the point, too, that depression is the enemy and it's not a romantic thing being sick. At least I hope people get that.

Awake In Rochester said...

My goodness, how many personality disorders are there? I'm sure learning from you.

Queen said...

Somehow I feel I relate to his story, not sure exactly how to pinpoint it, but I will ponder on it. That was a really interesting and informative article. I wonder if this disorder like so many others stems from any one inparticular?

jumpinginpuddles said...

of course being a multiple we can relate to some of this, days going fast and time and finding it hard to relate to others. But thats why it is called dissociation it is all components oif the same thing, a way of coping when you didnt know how youd survive if you didnt switch off.

Mary said...

Wow what an interesting article, depression eats away at us one way or another, and the need to get help is great..thanks for the article...Mary

Lynn said...

I have a dissociative disorder. I also have episodes of derealization and depersonalization. I had it happen to me just today. I took care of a lot of different things today and was feeling quite good about that, then I went to the store with my husband and kids. The sun was shining and all was well... and I felt like I was watching this strange and happy family (me, my family) walk into a store on a sunny day as if I were watching a movie. Like we were all just characters in a script. Not too long ago, this would have given me a panic attack. Not today. I knew what it was and I knew it would pass. I'm glad I found a medication-free way to begin working on this. Contrary to the musician in the story, I did not experience medication as 'fixing' it. It simply made it so I was able to escape addressing the root of the problem for a while longer - until, as meds do, they stopped working or needed to be changed or created a disease. Just my personal opinion, and not to judge anyone, to each his/ her own, etc., but for me, drugging is just a new way to dissociate.

I would like to answer Queen's question about the origins of dissociative disorder. Mine was caused by the trauma of childhood abuse. I grew up with altered states of consciousness and lived most of my life that way because I was used to it. It was what I knew. Dissociation and a soft blanket of depression were the only things between me and a panic so overwhelming that it might have completely shattered my psychological integrity.

about jenji said...

Great post deb.

Dissociative disorders are not all that uncommon, so it's wonderful when a "celebrity" shares so that others may feel more accepted.

i hope you are doing well.


Raine said...

That was very brave of him to share that.maybe it will help in someway someone else

Janes Insane said...

Please forgive me for deviating from the subject, but Congratulations on the Celtics Championship!!! They are a fantastic team & absolutely deserved it. I hope you didn't fall asleep this time.

The Lone Beader said...

I think I have a lonely beading disease! Is that treatable???? :o

kath said...

Hi Deb!

I have been very out of touch and lazy the past month or so.. I wanted to stop by and try to catch up on my blog friends.. yours is amazing aas always....

as to the being sick thing... some people do enjoy being the victim of illness or just misery...never understood that.

'Tart said...

That was a great article. I could relate to much of it, even though I have a different illness (bipolar disorder). The name alone, 'The Lonely disease' resonated with me. I think so many of us plainly feel that emotion, in itself, and because of illness.

Also, he talks about not wanting to sing about redemption or even 'suggest' it in his article. But by talking about his illness and how he worked to lose the weight after difficult medications (and finding ones where he had a chance to lose weight)(another thing I can relate to working on) he provided a sense of redemption, both in his life and the article.

Thank you for sharing this. I enjoy music and pop culture, and I don't think I would have found this article on my own. Good post, Dr. Deb!

Kawana Aminata Oliver said...

Very interesting Deb, thanks ;-)

Vesper de Vil said...

wow, thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, Deb! You're #1 on the list in the APA Practice online article about blogging!


Congrats :)


Anonymous said...

Oops, the whole web address didn't make it...it should be:


Cut and paste the whole thing, take out the space before "practice" and it should work (I had to put the space in to move it to the next line so that everything could be seen)


Susan Blackburn said...

Thanks for sharing this thought-provoking and inspirational article, Deb. It's real insight into the torture that is often behind brilliant art, such as Adam's music. And thanks for posting the video... I haven't heard it in years and forgot how much I love the Counting Crows!

Winrob said...

Great Article, I don't think there is one family that is not effected by some sort of mental illness.
I really thought I grew up in a 'normal' healthy family until I moved out on my own and saw the world for the first time with out any of my family's influence.
There are a lot of Lonely and Invisible Diseases out here...no one is immune.
thanks for sharing

Deb said...

Dar Deb,
I always sensed he had a depressive nature, but I didn't expect to read about his detachment and derealization. I always think it's so brave to be open and honest and address such issues.

Dear Therapydoc,
Yes, I agree.

Dear Awake,
There are many disorder and illness. The key is understanding how each person is unique and that not all categories fit a person.

Dear Queen,
Usually there is a neurobiology and an experiental piece to each person's unique experience of life.

Dear JIP,
Yes, you all would relate and understand in a very special way.

Dear Mary,
I like bringing a variety of things to this blog. Most importanly, I love addressing stigma and issues regarding mental illness.

Dear Lynn,
You are so strong and wise.

Dear Jenji,
Yes, I agree. High profile individuals can shed light on issues like this and make it more acceptable to get help - and not hide in shame about things.

Dear Raine,
I bet it already has helped someone.

Dear Jane,
Hooray for the Celtics. Sad for the Lakers. And yes, I missed the game again. Was working late!

Dear Lone,
There is always hope and help for things.

Dear KAth,
So happy to see you here.

Dear Tart,
I agree with your take on that. I think it is very brave and wonderful that he is talking about his issues. It makes it easier for others to get help.

Dear Kawana,
Hi. Thanks for swinging by. How are you doing these days?

Dear Vesper,
So glad you found it meaningful.

Dear Donna,
Whoa, thanks for the link. I had no idea they had my blog linked in that article.

Dear Susan,
I have always loved the sound of his voice and the band's music too.

Dear Nancy,
You are so right... so many invisible issues many experience. Hope you are feeling well these days.

S'onnie said...

I always think it is a good thing when celebs share about their own lives with mental illness as it helps reduce the stigma those who don't understand it have about it.

Wanda's Wings said...

I can so relate to so much of this. thank you for sharing.

phd in yogurtry said...

"The decision to change in and of itself means nothing. It's the work that follows that means everything."

What a valuable insight this is! Thanks for the article, Deb. I had no idea about his struggle.

Merelyme said...

i definitely want to read this article. i am glad more famous people are coming forward to talk about their mental illness. we are all on a spectrum and nobody is immune to problems.

Teresa Lynne said...

What people don't realize, I think, is that Rock Singers and Celebrities are people, too.

We all have issues and personally I don't think that there is one single person in this world that is A-Okay Perfect-o! :)

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Dr. Deb,
Please come over to my blog to receive your award as one of the recipients of the 24 Carat Gold Outstanding Bloggers Award. Thank you so much and God bless.

Tracy said...

Wow, how very courageous for him to share this. I think it is wonderful he did. I am sure it will help a lot of people understand more.

Thank you for sharing!

Bill said...

Dear Deb: Great job as usual. Thanks for sharing this story. I love it when 'celebs' come out of the mental-health disorder closet and share their stories with us. Its just further proof that we're all normal and not crazy. There are millions of us that suffer from depression and anxiety issues. :) Bill