Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Famous Psychology Quotes

People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun's out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is light within.
~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (1926-2004) Swiss American Psychiatrist & author.

"Thought is action in rehearsal."
~ Sigmund Freud (1856-1939) Austrian founder of psychoanalysis

"Success is a state of mind. If you want success, start thinking of yourself as a success."
~ Dr. Joyce Brothers (1928-) American psychologist, TV-radio personality, columnist & author.

"Education is not just the filling of a pail, it is the lighting of a fire."
~ B. F. Skinner (1904-1990) American psychologist

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." ~Carl Jung, (1875-1961),Swiss psychiatrist, psychoanalyst

"Hate is a product of the unfulfilled life."
~ Erich Fromm (1900-1980) American psychologist, psychoanalyst.

"When I look at the world I'm pessimistic, but when I look at people I am optimistic."
~Carl Rogers (1902-1987), American psychologist.

"The only normal people are the one's you don't know very well."
~ Alfred Adler (1870-1937), Austrian psychologist.

"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."
~Henry Ellis (1859-1939), British Psychologist

"Sex is not a sin. Many people have complained that this is taking all the fun out of sex."
~ Ruth Westheimer (1928 - ), German-American psychologist, TV radio personality & author.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."
~Abrahamm Maslow (1908-1970), American psychologist.

"All of us are much more human than otherwise. "
~Harry Stack Sullivan (1892-1941), American psychologist.


OhioRuthie said...

I loved the quotes...some thought provoking and others just plain funny!

Cathy said...

those were great; my favourite; good old Dr. Joyce Brothers....

kath said...

wonderful quotes! thank you for posting them :)

I think I like the first one the best.. today..

take care ..


lightfeather said...

I love these! I use quotes in my Monday morning all school mailing and on my Friday Good News all school mailing. I hope it is OK to use some of these!


Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Dear Ohioruthie,
I would describe them just as you did!

Dear Cathy,
You know, she did alot way back when to open the door for women in psychology.

Dear Kath McKait,
Elisabeth Kubler Ross did alot of work on death and dying and the stages of grieving. She was most inspirational to me as a growing professional. Her writings are so beautiful to read despite the heaviness of the subject. She was a special lady.

Dear Lightfeather,
Share, of course. That's what blogging is all about for me: Learning new things and sharing them with others. Milliner's Dream had the Ross quote and the picture on her blog which inspired me to go further with this post. Here's to inspiring others!


Id it is said...

What a pick! Each one surpasses the other in its insight and aptness.

Dirk the Feeble said...

I like the Adler quote the best. Try this one on for size:

"People with opinions just annoy each other." -The Dali Lama

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Dear Id It Is,
The order just happened that way, no intention of besting the next. I think they're all wonderful. I like quotes. Sometimes I use them as mantras.

Dear Armaedes,
That doesn't sound like something the Dalai Lama would say. Where's the source? It is a good quote though.


Josie said...

love the carl jung quote.

for_the_lonely said...

I loved these quotes. The stained glass analogy hits life right on target, doesn't it? Mind over matter...the mind IS a perweful thing!


OhioRuthie said...

You said you were going to do the personality profile quiz...how did it turn out? Accurate?

A Flowered Purse said...

I loved all the quotes, I Needed some of them today!

Carie said...

wow...those were amazing, they definatly make you think...thank you so much for sharing them

Rue said...

"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."
~Henry Ellis (1859-1939), British Psychologist


Just...wow...that's so simply and so...profound.

Heidi said...

So many, so true..Luv them all.

Traci said...

I love these. Thank you for sharing them. I particularly like the one about those who hate having an unfulfilled life. It was very appropriate for today as my stalker called me at work and I had to hang up on her. Creepy. *sigh*

Anna Mason said...

"The only normal people are the one's you don't know very well."

I like that one. Oh, and the sex one. This is one of my favorite posts so far. I love quotes. And I love the fact that you included pictures to go along with.

It would be cool if you did a post on how you got into this field. The process or journey of discovering what it was you wanted to do in life. Or else if you don't want to get personal on the posts then I would like to know how you got into psychology (sp).


I n g e r said...

Love them all. I started reading Kubler Ross when I was a kid; something about her take on dying--normalizing it, etc--was comforting to me then. (Kids worry about death. I know mine do.) What a great field.

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Dear Zaria,
Me too. He was a very deep person. Some of his stuff is very hard to read, but this quote is crystal clear!

Dear Sarah,
The mind is powerful. And to think we only know how to harness only a bit of it. Imagine if we could do more.

Dear Ohioruthie,
Yeah, it was pretty close!

Dear Dianna,
I enjoy quotes too. They help me feel a sense of purpose and sometimes they give me great guidance.

Dear Carie,
I'm so glad you enjoyed them. I thought they'd make a good blog post.

Dear Rue,
Isn't it so perfect? Isn't it so simply poetic too? I agree. He rocks!

Dear Heidi,
Makes me happy that you enjoyed reading them. Smiles to you.

Dear Traci,
Blimey, that *is* creepy having that happen. Hope you can remain safe.

Dear Anna,
I went into the field young...always was a problem solver and was always a curious person. When I went to college and found a field that did that, it was an easy decision. What wasn't so easy was the years of training. Sheesh, so much.

Dear Inger,
Kubler-Ross made that scary subject less so for me as well. She also made other things make sense--- and she did it with easy and beautiful language. She was a great contributor to our world!


Michelle said...

I've seen your name on some friends' blogs and I wanted to check out your world. I really admire your choice of profession. I earned a degree in journalism and psychology. I'm using the journalism portion of my education but I often find myself wondering ... what if... what would have happened if I pursued a career as a psychologist. (Pops is a social worker). I wonder what difference would I have made in the world. Who knows in another life, I may be the psychologist I've always wanted to be....anyhoo, sorry for writing this book...kudos to you for carrying out your important work. God bless.

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Dear Michelle,
You probably use quite a bit of your psychology training in your writing and publishing work.Your Dad must so proud of you!!!


Clare said...

Thanks for those quotes Deb. I especially like the one about the stained glass window.


chase said...

"Hate is a product of the unfulfilled life."

absolutely true...absofuckinlutely.

where is your quote dr deb?

Deb S. said...

This is a great collection of quotes. The graphics acted as the icing on the cake. This post is definitely a keeper!

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Dear Clare,
That quote is beautiful, isn't it?Your photos inspired me to learn how to use the blogger upload feature. Now that I know how, I'll post more pictures!!

Dear Chase,
The quote on hate is one of the most profound and insightful ones I know in explaining hateful behavior. My quotes are found on my 7 Meme, LOL!

So glad you like them!

Shirazi said...

These are very inspirational. I am taking then to heart.

I am a Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I love how you ran with the idea once inspired by EKB's quote on my blog, Deb...here's to others running, too.


Dr. Deborah Serani said...

When I read your post, I was so inspired. I had forgotten that quote of hers, and seeing it again made me realize that I wanted to revisit many of the ones I loved...and share them with my blogfriends.


Hammad said...

all quotes very damn good!!

can u help me make 100% out of my daily energy in studies?

Phi said...

Thank you so so much for the way you run your blog. You really are helping lots of people in the hard work of knowing themselves and have a peaceful inner life. The quotes are really useful and..enlighting (may I say so?). As you said they're meant to help others I'd like to quote you and your quotes in today's post on my little blog. would that be ok with you?

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Dear Hammad,
Not sure if I can help in that way!!! But glad you like the quotes.

Deaf Phi,
Of course you can borrow!!! I see you are from Italy. What part? Parlo Italiano! Mia famiglia è da Italia. Desidero visitare un giorno!


Phi said...

Hi Deb, thanks for permission! Glad you wish to come and visit Italy, where is your family from? I'm from Sardinia. Mi farebbe molto piacere che tu lasciassi un commento sul mio blog.. complimenti per il tuo lavoro, continua così!

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Sardinia... e bella, sì? I put some commenta il suo blog. (Don't know the words so I did 1/2 in english 1/2 in italian)

Che (or is it "Que") piacere la sua conocenza.

Deb S. said...

Hopefully you know that your site, and this post particularly, was featured on the blog Light Within this week. If you are not aware of this, go here: http://sajshirazi.blogspot.com

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

I actually saw the post when I visited Shirazi. I was humbled and touched by its inclusion in "The Light Within".

Blogging is such a wonderful way to express oneself and experience others and their own piece of the world. Wouldn't you agree?


Deb S. said...

Deb, I agree. And if you don't mind, I would like to add your site to my links.

DCS (Also a "Deb")

Dr. Deborah Serani said...


Great. I'll add you to mine too. From one Deb to another!


LICSW said...

Hey Deb,

What do you think about "you hate in others what's most alive inside yourself"?

Just curious.

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Dear P,
That is a very true statement. In the psychoanalytic field, we can call the act of hate as a kind of "projection".


sara eich said...

Hi Dr. Deb:
Skinner's quote was very helpful in completing my Professional Vision Statement for my portfolio. I googled psych quotes & found you. Still teaching psychoanalytic theory?

Dr. Deb said...

Hey Sara,
So fun to see you here. Yes, still teaching Psychoanalytic Theory! Sending you regards.


geoliberty said...

Great quotes. I loved the one that says that, only normal human is the one who we don't know. But, who is normal human for us??? I think that normal human is an idol in our minds, who does everything right and never makes mistakes, But this kind of human doesn't exist. Nobody is perfect. So it comes out that normal human does't exist. But that's only my opinion. :)